Friday, June 8, 2007

Back to work

Well, I worked my first real shift last night from 7p-7a. I hadn't worked in 368 days. My very first call, I got my very first IV in said amount of days while we were bouncin' down the road. I haven't lost my touch there. I was a little nervous about that.
It was a very busy night, I would have sworn it was a Friday or Saturday night or at the very least a full moon. We ran 6 calls in 12 hours. They may not sound like a lot but keep in mind every call takes on average, 1 hour from time of dispatch to time of complete at the hospital. Therefore, we averaged 1 call every 2 hours. By the time we got back to the station and rechecked all paperwork and filled out the new lovely bubble sheets, to collect call data for grants, we are now pushing 1 hour 45 min. Everything gets done. Lay down for 10-15 min and get popped with yet another call. I didn't even have to break out the map book. We got dispatched on one call and I told everyone, this is so and so and we are going to be getting a signed refusal. I think they were surprised that I remembered all that. That paper work takes a little longer to complete. Those are the calls that you are most likely to get sued over so there is some serious CYA.
At o'dark thirty we get a call for a lovely drunk who was traveling I-35s, left the highway, crossed the access road and went right through the retaining/security gate of local Army base. Said individual planted forehead into windshield but "I was wearing my seat belt". "How much have you had to drink tonight?" "Just a little bit." Yeah, right! Said individual found everything to be highly amusing. Said individual also kept grabbing at us with lovely bloody hands. "Stop grabbing us and flailing your arms or I am going to tie you down!" Continues. Out come the restraints. God! I love my job! Nothing better than being able to tie down a drunk at o'dark thirty because they were being stupid. Tie said individuals arms to backboard. Tie down same individuals legs. Now, said individual is not happy and cussing up a storm and then breaks into a fit of laughter. At least said individual is a happy drunk. Cut off clothing because if I can't see it, I can't treat it. Ok, I really did it just because I can and I don't like drunk, stupid people, especially when they get behind the wheel of a car. Start 16 gauge IV. For those that don't know, a 16 gauge IV is about the size of a pencil lead. Just like wire, the smaller the number, the bigger the needle. Transport said individual to hospital on afore mentioned military base. OOPS! Said individual is a military dependant and said individuals sponsor is Security Forces. OOPS! Give report to ER doc. ER doc says "A 16 gauge? Why such a large bore IV? Said individual really didn't need one that big." My response, " Because I can." His response, "I like the way you think.", accompanied by a pat on the back.
Did I mention, I love my job! I get to inflict pain on stupid people because I am acting in their best interest. I get to tie people up and if that doesn't work, I break out the good stuff and go for chemical restraint. Yippee!!
I missed my babies terribly, and from the reports I got from home, I like to think they missed their mama. It was fun though and good to be back in the saddle again!
I even got to see my wonderful hubby although we didn't get work any calls together. That was always fun, except for the night we were both working and he got shot. That, that wasn't so much fun.
I am exhausted and can't wait for nap time which should be soon. I need a nap myself. Of course, first I have to wash 30 bottles.
Oh, and I almost forgot about the one complaining of not being able to breath. Me:"Do you smoke?" Said individual: "Yes, but I don't inhale". Me: "How much do you smoke?" Said individual: "A pack a day but I don't inhale" I didn't realize I was transporting a former president! HA!

1 comments:

Lynne said...

Oh, wow! I admire you. I don't plan on going back to work until all of the kids are in school. You must be exhausted.

Your trio is adorable. That hair! One of my triplets had that much hair, but it was (and still is) red.

background