Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Another day

in paradise? I don't think so. Why? It has nothing to do with my precious trio, ok, maybe it does just a little. Instead of being home with them, I am off playing paramedic. I love my job and enjoy every bit of it when I make a difference but then the adrenaline rush goes away and all I want is to be home with my babies. I know, you can't have your cake and eat it too. But why not? It's not fair(excuse my 2 year old temper tantrum). We do what we have to do, right? Really, I love my job, I must because Lord knows I don't do it for the money. I actually saved a life tonight, for what it is worth. Not saying that this persons life isn't worth anything but what kind of quality of life do you have when are a bedbound, vent dependant, trach patient that was in cardiac arrest for an unknown amount of time before found. Obviously not too terribly long since I got said patient back at least with a pulse, again, for what it is worth. Found by the nursing home staff long before rigor or lividity set in(this really is rare, that they are found before these obvious signs I mean) they started CPR and then Mrs. Triplet mom paramedic swooped in (dun dudda dun) and started and IO(big needle that I get to drill into the leg) push drugs and break ribs and...dun dudda dun.....patient gets a pulse back. Now, keep in mind, all the while that we are on the way to the closest hospital, a fellow paramedic friend of mine that I have not seen in a while is with me in the back of the ambulance. He is breathing for the patient and I am compressing her heart to make it beat and sustain life just a little longer. While we are doing this and pushing drugs through the IO that I started we are talking about our kids and how are spouses are doing and how we really need to find a time that we are all off so that our families can go out to dinner together. As we pull into the hospital he looks at me and says there is something wrong with this picture. "What do you mean?", I ask. He thought that it was awfully strange that we are trying to sustain life and bring back from the dead and we are talking like not much is going on and just 2 old friends catching up. I suppose it is a little strange. So, here it is 230 in the morning. I am wide awake for a shift from hell and I am rambling away on my blog.
Sorry dear followers. This is what happens when you have had a rough shift and no one to talk to. Oh and lets just top off the rough shift with stories from the various family memebers that have taken care of the babies today with all the really cute stories of things they did that mom got to miss out on. Oh yeah and the family went out to dinner for the second time in a row without me!!! Again I say, NOT FAIR!!! Why can't I work but not miss a bit of time in the life of my babies? It just sucks! I know I am not alone. There are plenty of others that do the same thing. I guess I really am just tired and whiny. Thank God I get 2 days off before I have to go back for another 3 days of shifts. I was just spoiled with a year off. Now I am just being a spoiled whiny brat. Sorry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've posted before, but just wanted to let you know that my DH is also an EMT and Firefighter. It is great that you are doing this, and your babies will be proud of there strong momma.

Kimberly and the GA Guinn Trips
www.guinnfamilyhome.com

The Dairy Wife said...

Denise .... you should have called me! I was up til 3:30 and I'm dragging behind today and have to teach a advanced IV class at 3:0pm.

It's hard being a working Mom. In the winter I'm called out almost around the clock to start IV's for nursing homes. I hate winter time!

Tanya

MaryBeth said...

Denise,
YOU ARE NOT being a whiny baby! I can't imagine having to be mentally capable of going back to work, much less all the prep work that must be involved to leave the babies in capable hands while you are away!! My hat is off to you!!!

background