Tuesday, July 29, 2008

To potty train or NOT to potty train.........

That is the question. At least, in my house it is.
Lucy has started taking off her diapers when they are wet or muddy. Provided she can get to them to get them off. We try to keep pants/shorts on her at all times. If she can't get it off by herself, she climbs up into daddy's chair and lays down. Just waiting for someone to come along and change her diaper. Why daddy's chair you ask? Since they have been too big for the changing table and I am way to fat to get down on the floor that many times a day, I lay them down in daddy's chair to change them.

After our trip to the zoo on Saturday I was getting everyone ready for their bath. I stripped Markas. I was in the process of stripping Joshua and cleaning up a poopy bum. I have 4 throw rugs in my bathroom. One in front of the toilet, one in front of the entrance to the shower, one in front of the sinks and finally, one in front of my bathtub. Markas was standing on the one in front of the shower, he peed, he stopped. He walked over to the one in front of the sinks, he peed, he stopped. He then proceeded to the rug in front of the bathtub and finished peeing! Really!?!? With that much control he should be just about ready.

This, however, is my dilema. They DO NOT talk. They have said the same few words for months. So, how can I potty train them if they can't tell me when they need to go? I know that in the beginning you should just take them every so often but I can't do that until they finally start talking. Lord only knows when that will be. The developmental pediatrician told me they were not behind and wouldn't qualify for EI. They really are on target with everything else but their speech.
They also do not wake up dry. They usually do wake up dry after naps but definetly not in the mornings.

So, what do you think? Should we go ahead and give it a whirl or not? I am ready, ready, ready to be done with diapers. I don't think Joshua is anywhere close to being ready, yet. I still have to chase him down and fight with him to change his muddy diapers. He could care less. I think the other 2 are just about as ready as ready can be.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

well, you definitely have more experience than me but personally i'm not feeling like i'm ready for potty training yet.

we did get the potties and have been 'socializing' the idea - reading the potty books, sitting on the potty with or without clothes. essentially low stress low commitment potty 'education'.

i'm not sure i'm ready for having to bring a potty with me everywhere...and have nothing to blog about but PT for six months.

Dorinda said...

I'm thinking those few hours are making a difference. Apparantly if you were born at 5 AM on November 16th, 2006 you are more ready for potty training. BUT if you stayed in your mommy until 2 PM you are NO WHERE NEAR potty training. I can't even imagine that right now. I think diapers are sooo much easier. We're waiting a year. My older two were at least 3 and it happened almost overnight - so easy - no work. Done. What's the rush anyway?

No extra stops while at a store, no mess worries - I prefer diapers except for the money...

Great zoo pictures. What do you mean there are triplets born before ours? That just can't happen! :)

As for words, Julianna says new ones all the time but the other two don't talk much at all. Alyssa babbles a LOT but not so many words beyond "yea" and "good girl" - she likes to clap and make everyone around her feel good. Rachel just grins at me like she has no idea and doesn't care!

Kellan said...

I don't know sign language, nor did I ever use it with my kids - but there are MANY moms on other blogs I read that do and have and maybe that would work. Learn the signs for potty or whatever and start using that until they can talk. They say that kids pick up and use sign language really fast - over verbal language even!

Good luck - it's not fun, but when you are done it will be nice.

Take care - Kellan

Misty said...

I am so having the same debate!
Ugh!

Angie said...

Denise, I have been thinking definetely NOT ready to potty train and then today Maddie is asking to "go potty". Maybe I better reconsider? Whatever you decide good luck!

Kelli said...

I don't have any good advice, but I think you should go with what you gut instinct says! I am having the same dilemma, that I don't see how we can start potty training, until my boys are really talking.

That is incredible how Markas had that much control!!!

I can't wait to see what you end up deciding to do!

I have to admit, I am pretty darn nervous about the whole potty training process!!

- Kelli

background