Friday, August 8, 2008

Steve's 50th


So, I am a little late in this post. However, I thought it a good story and one worth sharing. Steve turned 50 in Jan. of 2007. I had been telling him for years that we were going to have a huge party for his 50th bday. Of course, we went and had triplets just 2 months shy of his 50th. He had been hinting for months that his 50th bday was fast approaching(you know, I had pregnant brain, I had probably forgotten). He even mentioned something about a party a few times. I never said a word. Before we get to all that, lets have a brief history lesson. Jamie and Jessica are his girls from his first marriage. Jessi lived with us until shortly before her 19th bday. She moved to Utah with her mother and sister. We had no communication with either of them for almost 6 years. We had been talking to Jamie since the beginning of 06. She came for a visit in the summer of 06. Still no communication with Jessi. The end of Sept.(06) Steve spent a week in the hospital with a cardiac scare. After stress-test, and cardiac cath, they determined he actually has the heart of a 20 something and he got to come home. The day he was released from the hospital, just after walking in the door, the phone rang. It was Jessi. We talked a lot in the following months. He really wanted to see his girls. Then the babies came.

I am good.



I am very good......

With the help of some great friends, we managed to pull off one heck of a surprise party. It was great!

Matthew convinced Steve to take him to a movie. While they were gone, people showed up at our house. When they returned, Steve came stomping in the door complaining about the neighbors having another party and partially blocking our drive way. I took him around the staircase where everyone yelled surprise. He WAS surprised.
Then we made him sit in a chair and blindfolded him. He was completely confused. When the blindfold was removed, there in front of him were his girls. Jamie flew in from NC that morning and Jessi had flown in that afternoon. I was able to get out of the house to pick up Jamie and take her to a friends house and I had friends, who helped me pull off the party, pick Jessi up. He had a look of complete disbelief on his face. He really thought he was hallucinating. He cried and well, I think everyone in the room cried. Everyone that was there knew of the history with the girls so it was pretty emotional for everyone. It was great!! We had so much fun. The best part of it is I fooled him and I totally surprised him. Actually, I think I out did myself. I don't think it will be possible to top that party. It was worth every bit of stress I had trying to get ready for it.









1 comments:

Candace Hickey said...

Good for you for pulling off the surprise! And with triplets! Tell Steve that he does NOT look his age. By the way, my husband's name is Steve too....and, I had just had my triplets when you had this party: born 1-10-2007.

background