Saturday, September 20, 2008

Time Are A Changin' and a story

Miss Lucy has been climbing out of her crib. Daddy said he was going to convert it to a toddler bed this weekend. He was busy all day today and it didn't get done. After putting her back in bed about 3 times daddy said he is going to do it tomorrow. Unfortunately, Markas has decided to follow suit. Even more unfortunate, on his attempt to climb out, I heard him hit the floor. He is fine, scared more than anything I think. Daddy will be converting 2 cribs tomorrow instead of one. So, check back for how this goes for us. It should prove to be interesting.

Now, for the story. It is prompted by a fellow triplet moms recent blog. She blogged about how people don't really know others with triplets or more until you are living it. Basically, most of your friend are parents of higher order multiples. That is so true. I didn't know anyone with more than twins, even while pregnant. The only exception to that is the woman who was my 5th grade teacher. Her hubby worked with my mom. She has a set of triplets that are one year older than me. Ironically, she has 2 boys and a girl. Even more ironic, one of her triplet boys was my very first "boyfriend". I don't know how much of a boyfriend he was since I was in the 5th grade and he was in the 6th, or how much of a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship it was when I was in 7th and he was in 8th. We stayed friends, all of us. We have of course lost touch over the years but I always kept in touch with their parents. I went over to their house the day after my first ultrasound. They always welcomed me, even when I showed up unannounced. They did that night too. I handed her my ultrasound picture. Her hubby looked at it and he told me congrats. She told him he didn't understand. She knew immediately that she was looking at triplets. It was fun to be able to tell them, my first boyfriends parents, my 5th grade teacher, the parents of triplets plus one, and long time friends that I was expecting triplets. She talked to me for a long time. She told me what it was like for her. Her hubby was a young Airman in the Air Force. They had a 1 year old daughter. Then came the triplets. They told me how she was home in their tiny apartment with all the babies all day long. He would come home, grab the bags of dirty cloth diapers and haul them downstairs to wash them. I honestly don't know how they survived those early years. They were stationed in the DC area and no where close to family. They are absolutely amazing, beautiful people. Unfortunately, before the trio was born they moved to SC to be close to family and I have lost track of them.
I have always thought it ironic that this woman that I looked up to and thought so much of her and her hubby had triplets and then all these years later so did I.

3 comments:

Jen4 @ Amazing Trips said...

Good luck with the crib conversion. We transferred our trio to "big" beds when they were just shy of their third birthday. They did great (minimal falling out!), although we had to split them in to different rooms until they fell asleep every night before merging them back together. Otherwise, they would have been up PARTYING all night long!

I hope you do find your 5th grade teacher again. I'm sure she'd love to stay current on your family through your blog. And I'm sure you'd love to have someone who has truly survived the experience for moral support every so often!!

Misty said...

Good luck on the conversions! WOW! I think I'll be the last on that too ( we are still working on the am/pm bottles).
HOpe you got some sleep.
Misty

Angie said...

I love the story about your friends with the triplets!

I hope all goes well with the conversion to beds...I haven't had to think much about this yet and hope I won't need to until they are about 12! :)

background