Sunday, November 16, 2008

Happy 2nd Birthday

Happy 2nd Birthday to my beautiful babies!! Today you are 2 years old. I don't know where the time has gone and I can't believe it has been 2 years. You have grown so much in such a short amount of time. You are all so smart.

Markas, my little peanut. You love your mama and you love to cuddle. I know that I will get lots of hugs and kisses from you throughout the day. You were our little super man the day you were born. You were the last one out, our baby C. You did so well. You only needed to be on a nasal cannula and you only needed 21% oxygen. That is room air! You were transported with your sister when you guys were moved to the new hospital. You didn't even stay in the level 3 NICU a full 12 hours. You were doing so well they moved you to the step down unit that night. Daddy got to hold you after you were born. He even got to put a diaper on you. Mommy had to wait until you were 4 days old before I got to hold you. They brought you down to the recovery room before they left with you. The nurses wanted to make sure I saw you. I got to touch you but I was out of it, I didn't even remember what you looked like. You have learned so much in the last 2 years. Do you know that you took your first 13 steps on your 1st birthday? You have the cutest little dipple in your right cheek when you smile. You love your brother and sister and can be so sweet. You also instigate a lot of the fights. You don't like for mommy to hold anyone else. You are such a picky eater. You went from being the longest to being the shortest. You better hurry up and grow so you can catch up with your brother and sister. You are the worst sleeper. Almost every night you wake up and come and get in bed with mommy. You are a happy go lucky kind of little dude but when something upsets you it can take forever to make you happy again. You are so shy but you do warm up to people after a little while. You love to play and laugh. You love to chase your sister and tease the dog. Poor Rocky. Mommy never has to make you hold hands. You are so willing to do that. You are definetely my little lover boy.
Joshua, my little man. You are such a daddy's boy. Mama is only good enough when you don't feel good. Your kisses and hugs are few and far between but they are oh so sweet. You are so serious. It is harder to make you laugh but you have the most precious and infectious laugh when you do. You were the second one out, our baby B. You were on a ventilator for about 12 hours and then a nasal cannula. By your second day here you were on 21% oxygen. You were transported by yourself when you were moved to the new hospital. The nurses brought you down so I could see you before you left. But, like with Markas, I was so out of it I didn't even remember what you looked like. Not to mention, it was hard to see your precious face for all the tubes. You were the first one mommy got to hold. You were 2 days old and mommy had just gotten out of the hospital. I was in so much pain and I was so tired but nothing was going to keep me from you guys. The nurses in the NICU were so sweet. They found me a chair and then your nurse asked me if I wanted to hold you. No one had held you yet expect for the nurses. She picked you up and arrange all the wires and placed you in my arms. I cried for what seemed like an eternity. You spent the longest amount of time in the level 3 NICU. 2 weeks, that is how long you were there before you were moved down the hall to the Special Care Nursery with Markas and Lucy. It was so hard for daddy and I to spend time with all of you since you were in different areas but we did it. You have come so far. They told us when you were 11 months old that you had Spastic Diplagia Cerebral Palsy. 6 months later your neurologist decided he didn't like that diagnosis. Now, he just says you have Periventricular Leukomalacia. You still have the same problems but you have learned, all by yourself, to overcome them. You were the last to roll over, the last to crawl, the last to cruise, and the last to walk but you did them all. We had some help with physical therapy but you did so well the physical therapist didn't need you to come see her anymore. When your brother and sister started climbing, you couldn't. You found a way. You look a little funny when you run but you are so fast. You still spend most of your time on your toes and you still fall a lot. This morning, we got to church and you were standing next to mommy waiting for me to get Lucy out of the car. The next thing I know you are face first on the ground. I picked you up and there was blood everywhere. I ran to the bathroom with you. When I finally got the bleeding to stop, you had a nice goose egg on your forehead and a tiny little puncture wound. I guess a rock in the parking lot got you good. You are so smart, so quiet. You are the most reserved and you take the longest to warm up to people. You love animals and hold the kitty every chance you get.
My beautiful little princess, Lucy. Like your brother, you are mama's little girl. You love your daddy but you usually only want mama. You are such a great cuddler. You give lots of kisses and hugs but you give them freely to everyone in the family. You talk the most and sign the most. You have always been the boss. You were the first born, our baby A. The doctors all told us because of the way you were laying, you kept everyone in for as long as you did. I will never forget your tiny little cry when you were born. You sounded just like a little kitten. Just like with the boys, the nurses brought you to me but I didn't remember what you looked like. Like Joshua, you were on a ventilator for about 12 hours. After just one week in the level 3 NICU you were moved to the Special Care Nursery. Mommy and Daddy got to hold you for the first time when you were 5 days old. You were so tiny, you were the smallest. Now you are the biggest and most people didn't believe me when I would tell them you weren't even 2 yet. You are a little mother hen. You try to make things better when one of the boys is upset. You like to carry your dinner plates to the table and serve the boys before you will sit down with your own. You like to clean. You love to dance. Some nights, the only way I can get you to go to sleep is to put you in bed with me. You snuggle up to me and within minutes you are sound asleep. You love to read. You are so outgoing. It is almost like the world is your stage and you are here to perform for everyone. You are still shy around new people and those you don't know well but you warm up to them fairly quickly. You are becoming quite the little lady. You don't fight me anymore when I put your hair up. You say please and thank you, although it is still with prompting. I know you will get one day. You are saying 2-3 new words every single day. Your brothers make you laugh and you try to take care of them.

I pray that all 3 of you will grow up loving each other and taking care of one another. I pray that you will all grow to be Godly young people, serving the Lord and your fellow man. I pray that you know nothing but peace and love.

7 comments:

Dorinda said...

Happy 2nd Birthday Wheeler Trio!! What a great day to be born :) Great thoughts on your kiddos Denise :)

Kelli said...

What a lovely post Denise! So heartfelt!

Happy Birthday (one day late!) to your adorable trio!!!! I hope you all had a wonderful day!

I am so sorry to hear about Joshua's fall before church....I hope he is healing quickly, and that goose egg is all gone!

Hugs,
Kelli

MaryBeth said...

Happy belated birthday you guys!!!

Jessi said...

Such a sweet message! I can't believe you remember that many details of that special day!
Happy birthday Lucy, Joshua and Markas!!

Misty said...

Happy BIrthday!!!!!! What an awesome message to them!

Hurst Family said...

Yeah! They are beautiful and they'll treasure this letter to them each. I'm going to copy you!

Jennifer said...

lovely letter to your children.

Happy 2nd birthday!! I've been so amazed with all the changes in my trio in the few months since their second birthday. the new language skills are a lot of fun.

background