Monday, November 16, 2009

Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday my beautiful babies. You are no longer babies. It has been a wonderful 3 years and we have all grown and changed so much. You are 3 of the best things in my life and I can't imagine life without a single one of you. I scarcely remember what life was like before you. The one thing I will never forget is the longing I had and thought would never be fulfilled. Boy was I wrong. I was blessed with not one but 3 beautiful babies.

Today was a little tougher for me than the previous 2 birthdays. I was at work and standing in a NICU at precisely the times you were born. I had to take that baby to his mama so she could see him and touch him before we left to take him to the same NICU that you were moved to. That was a tough one for me. I remember very well the nurses and my fellow co-workers bringing you in so I could get a brief glimpse of you before you were whisked away. I barely knew what you looked like. It was so hard to see through all of the tubes. I knew though, that you were absolutely beautiful.

I think I allowed myself to realize for the first time today how close I came to not seeing you at all. That realization was a hard one for me. I think I also, for the first time, grieved for the fact that you all were almost a week old before I ever got to hold you for the first time. You were days old before I even got really see you and count each tiny finger and each tiny toe. You were small but you were perfect.

You have grown so much! As I was rocking each of you at bedtime tonight I remembered very clearly how each of you just about fit in the palm of your daddy's hand.

Lucy, you are so big now I almost can't rock you. If I remember correctly from the last time we measured you, you are about 42 inches tall. That's a lot of growing from the mere 17 inches you were when you were born.

Joshua, you are just a couple of inches shorter than your big sister. Still a lot of growing from your same mere 17 inches.

Markas, my baby boy, you have gone from being the longest on your birthday to being the shortest. You were 18 inches and now you are about 38 inches. That is still a lot of growing kiddo!

Lucy, you are the caretaker, ring leader, instigator of the group. You love to start trouble and you always blame one of your brothers for something done wrong. You are also the first to try and make things better when they are hurt or upset. You have yelled at me several times when I have popped one of the boys on the behind. You tell me, "you no hit my bubba!" Then you run off to find their blankie or animal or whatever to make them feel better. You don't like it at all when they get into trouble. You are so stubborn. You are also little miss independent. We hear frequently "no, I do it self". If you can't do it, you then ask us to help you. Your hugs and kisses are free flowing. It melts my heart when you just randomly walk up and wrap your little arms around my legs, look up, and say "I love you mama".
You are such a beautiful little girl with a beautiful little spirit. I think your daddy and I are in big trouble in about 13 years.

Joshua, you are still your daddy's boy. You only want mama when you are sick, hurt, or mad at daddy. You are still my shy boy and you are not as quick to find mischief. You are a little more reluctant to do the things you know you shouldn't be doing but once your brother and sister start in you are right in the mix with them. You are a total klutz. You are always falling and hitting your head. I don't think a day goes by that there isn't a bruise somewhere on your head or face. How we have escaped serious injury up til now is a miracle I think. Your angels really watch over you baby.
Your kisses and hugs aren't quite as free flowing as your sisters but they are definitely just as sweet. At least once a day you tell me you love me and it just melts my heart when you do. You are such a silly heart. You love to wrestle with daddy. Poor daddy isn't in the door 5 minutes from work and you are climbing on him and trying to get him to wrestle with you. I love to watch you 2 play. You are so happy when you are playing with your daddy.

Markas, my baby boy, you are still your mama's boy. You are so sweet, quiet, sensitive, and a down right trouble maker. I think you are the mastermind to all the mischief but not quite brave enough to actually start it. You can dish it out my little man but you usually can't take it. You are usually very thoughtful. If you bring me your cup for more to drink, you bring your brothers or sisters cup with you as well. Then you will take it to them after it has been filled. You love to help me cook and clean. You have gotten quite good at putting the silverware away after it has been washed. You usually only need a little direction as to where things go. Even though you hardly ever eat, you are the first to round everyone up for meal time.
Your hugs and kisses are free flowing as well but usually only for mama. I get tons of kisses from you every day and lots of I love yous too. Those I love yous melt my heart just like they do from your brother and sister. We have to be careful with kisses. You don't like it when kisses come with noise and you tell me "no noise mommy". You don't like loud noises at all, period. If they are really loud noises you cover and little ears and shake and cry.

You all love M&M's. You ask for them all the time, thanks to daddy. You know mommy doesn't like you eating a lot of candy but you still try it anyway.
You all love Dora the Explorer, Go, Diego, Go, Wow Wow Wubbzy and Wonder Pets. You would watch Nick Jr. all day long if we would let you. You are finally starting to count and say your ABC's. I admit it, mommy has slacked big time in teaching you those things. Your colors and shapes are no problem though.

Joshua still comes to mommy and daddy's bed every night. Some nights Lucy and Markas follow. While I miss having my bed all to myself and being able to cuddle with daddy, I love cuddling with you guys. I love you three with all of my heart and soul! I am so blessed to be your mommy and I am looking forward to a lifetime more of memories with you.

Before you were conceived I wanted you
Before you were born I loved you
Before you were here an hour I would die for you
This is the miracle of life.
-Maureen Hawkins

Love,
Mommy

PS. Pictures of birthday to come tomorrow.

3 comments:

MaryBeth said...

Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday to the gang!! Such a sweet tribute to each of them.... can't wait to see the photos!

Candace Hickey said...

Happy birthday to your trio! I agree with MB...nice tribute! Gives me an idea....hope you all had a wonderful celebration!

Angie said...

Beautifully written! It is amazing to think how fast 3 years can go... Happy Birthday to Lucy, Joshua and Markas!

background