Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Another Checkup

We went back to the doctor and dietitian yesterday. Since the middle of May, Josh has lost 4 pounds and Lucy has lost 3. Lucy has also lost 2 inches off her waist and Josh has lost 3! Woohoo!!!! They also had more lab work yesterday. They were such troopers. Josh sat still and didn't cry, until they were done. Poor baby. Lucy, well, she just sat there and never cried. My babies are really becoming big kids.

I have made some major changes around here. Convenience foods are a thing of the past. We eat fruit, fruit, and more fruit. I'm still working on getting them to eat veggies. Josh goes through cycles. He will spend a couple days walking around with carrots and celery in his hands and munching away and then he won't want anything but fruit. I was tired of nothing but fruit and like to have something to munch on every now and then. I love cheez-its, but, they are sooo bad for us. So, I made my own cheese crackers. They are pretty good but I am working on making them with canola oil instead of butter. I need to play with it a little more but I know once I find the right combination it will work.

I have also started making our cereal. It's super easy and pretty yummy. I made a chocolate cereal Sunday night but it is gone already. My sweet friend over at Four Silly Sisters gave me her cereal recipe so I will be making that later today. I will also be trying my hand at homemade bread, not from the bread machine.

I am so very blessed that as my babies struggle with this I am now able to be home to make the changes that are needed. These things are a bit time consuming but it is so worth it. If I was still working full time there is no way I have the time or energy to do all this.

In case anyone is interested, I will leave the recipe for the cheese crackers and once I figure out how to make them with canola oil I will post that as well.

Cheese Crackers

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup(4oz) sharp cheddar cheese
5 tbsp butter, cut into 1 tbsp pieces

Preheat over 350
Mix all together in food processor until it's a ball chasing itself around.
I remove it, roll into 3 or 4 logs, stick in fridge for a little while to firm up, then thinly slice using pizza cutter. Place on cookie sheet, flatten out, and poke center with fork. Bake @ 350 for 8-10 min.

I like smaller crackers and can get 100 + out of one batch. Flattening them out and poking them makes them a little crisper, I think. The first ones I made I didn't do that and the middle was kind of chewy but if I had left them in longer the outside would have been burnt. I store them in a plastic container and they never last more than 1 or 2 days before they are all eaten.

0 comments:

background